Alexander Cochrane was born in 1904 in Edinburgh and educated there. After studying Engineering at Edinburgh University, in 1926 her obtained a post on a rubber estate near Sungei Patani in what was then known as the Malay Peninsula. Consequent on the world economic crisis and the slump in rubber production in 1931 he returned to this country and joined the Edinburgh City Police where he was Court Inspector for many years. On leaving the Service he accepted the appointment in the City Prosecutor’s Department and frequently acted as Prosecutor ad interim in the Burgh Court and the Justice of the Peace Court in Edinburgh. Since his retirement in 1970 he has lived in Grange-over-Sands in South Lakeland.