AVAILABLE MAY 2017
The Enigma of Kidson is a scintillating and often hilarious biography of an inspirational and controversial history master, Michael Kidson, who taught a generation of pupils at Eton for forty years. Forget Eton, think Mr Chips, The History Boys and Dead Poets Society. Kidson was a maverick; funny, eccentric, breathtakingly rude, quick-tempered, insulting, kind, compassionate and loyal, with a secret past about which he never spoke.
Among his pupils were David Cameron, Matthew Pinsent, Justin Welby,Dominic West, 'Lupin', Johnnie Boden, Nat Rothschild and many others, who all tell stories and anecdotes about how he changed their lives. This biography unravels his complex character and discovers that it has been formed by an early life that is stranger than fiction.
- Extraordinary insight in to the life of Michael Kidson, an unconventional and inspirational Eton tutor
- Foreword by Sir Matthew Pinsent
- Contributions from David Cameron, the Archbishop of Canterbury,Dominic West, Johnnie Boden, and many more
- Explores his early life – a tale of Dickensian loss and redemption
- A vivid social history of the latter part of the twentieth century
- Recollections and vignettes of incidents in the classroom or tutorial from his pupils and colleagues
- Covers his turbulent relationships with colleagues, with parents, including previously unpublished Roger Mortimer letters
- Features the eulogies delivered by Sir Eric Anderson and Nat Rothschild at Kidson’s memorial service
- A real life ‘Mr Chips’; the book will be enjoyed by anyone who was at school in the second half of the twentieth century, not just by Etonians
'Michael Kidson was a wonderful eccentric and an inspiring teacher. Reading this book brought back many happy memories.' David Cameron
Jamie Blackett was born in 1964 was educated at Ludgrove, Eton – where he was tutored by Michael Kidson - and Sandhurst. After working in South Africa he joined the Coldstream Guards, serving in Northern Ireland, the First Gulf War, Hong Kong, The Falkland Islands, Zimbabwe and Germany. He returned to Galloway where he is now a farmer and a freelance journalist writing on farming and the countryside.
- Book Specifications
Sub Heading The Portrait of an Eton Schoolmaster ISBN 9781846892509 Author Jamie Blackett Binding Casebound Extent 224 pages, 234mm x 156mm Illustrations Photographs Ebook No
'Michael Kidson was a wonderful eccentric and an inspiring teacher. Reading this book brought back many happy memories.' — David Cameron
'Nothing short of a triumph. I laughed out loud dozens of times... it is really, really wonderful' — Sir Matthew Pinsent
- Look Inside 🔍